Monday, August 22, 2011

Tallapoosa Float!

I had a great day saturday!  A couple weeks ago Stewart planned a trip to go float down the Tallapoosa river with his girlfriend and her sister.  A few days later we found out that their trip just happened to be on Doug's birthday.  So it turned into a group trip with the guys fishing and the girls just going for a float. 




Packed up and headed out to the river!
 When I arrived Stewart and the girls were running a little late so me and Doug helped out around the shop a little bit.  I also got a chance to talk to Eric about the Jackson kayaks and he helped me out with some questions that weren't answered on the internet.  That guy really knows his stuff when it comes to kayaks, and rightfully so.  Its his job! 
A little while later on Stewart showed up and we got loaded up and headed down to the river.  When we arrived the water was crystal clear and looked great!  It didnt take the girls long at all to takeoff and leave us which seemed fine because we were already trying to catch fish!  We got a couple little bites but didnt land anything untill the first good pool of water. 
Once we got to the first pool we started reeling them in pretty fast.  Everything from Brim and Crappy to Redeye and Spotted bass.  After Doug and Stewart started catching fish I finally had a fish hit my line like a freight train!  I had honestly forgotten how much river fish fight!  As soon as it hit, it jumped straight out of the water and I realized I had a good size bass on.  But this fish wasn't phazed at all by what was going on, it headed straight up the river jumping two more times as it swam right by my kayak and under a tree breaking my line.  Usually when I lose a big fish I am pretty stunned and it takes me a little while to get back into the swing of things.  But I genuinely had so much fun just fighting it that I was pumped and looking forward to catching another one! 
Shortly after we started back down the river and I caught a nice spot.  From that point on the day just got better and better!  We caught alot of fish and Doug and Stewart were great company.  I couldnt ask for a better day of fishing!  Well, I wouldn't mind if I had caught that big fish in the very beginning but thats what happens when you take light line out on a river!  Also, we went so slow that apparently we missed most of the 2nd half of the river trying to hurry to meet up with Eric on time.  So another trip is already in the works!  I also feel like I should appologize to my friends who didnt go.  I've been talking about this trip for the last three days and i'm sure they're getting sick of hearing about it! 
Maybe after a couple more trips to the river I can calm down a little!  I just can't get over how much fun it was catching those river bass!  
        


Stewart with a nice spot


Another nice spot from the river




Headed down the river


No comments:

Post a Comment