Friday, December 2, 2011

Practice, Practice, Practice!!!

First off, let me just say I know I haven't really put this blog out there yet but if for some reason people are waiting for me to post updates I'm sorry.  I've had a lot going on lately and I'm finally getting everything back in order! 


The other day I finally had time to make it to the lake.  It had been over two weeks since I'd been on the water but I was still confident I could get on fish.  Well, I was right.  I did in fact, get on some fish.  But much to my chagrin after almost EVERY bite I would lose the fish.  They just wouldn't stay buttoned.  I tried everything I could think of to land them but I just coulnd't get them to the bank!  When the day was over I had lost 8.   Yes 8 fish!  And I didnt land one! 
Talk about frusterated!! 
So after I left the lake I did my usual routine.  I went over what happened in my mind.  Actually, thats a lie.  I went over it again and again and again!  Did I mention I was frusterated?  Well that night after thinking long and hard I decided I wouldn't be beat by this.  I researched different methods of hooksets for all the methods I was fishing.  I re-tied all my hooks using different knots and in subtle different ways and I re-adjusted the drag on my reels to match the action of the rods they were on.  Allowing me to set the hook harder on my light line without having to worry too bad about the line breaking. 
Finally after a long day of work the next day I made it back out onto the lake.  And just like the first day I was on the fish.  Only this time was a little different.   The first fish hit and I set the hook as hard as I could and landed it!   It finally felt like I was on the right path!  After the day was over I had landed 4 fish and only missed 2.  Not a bad day and about back up to my average.  But I wasn't done yet.  I wanted to get back out asap and keep working on this! 
By the third day I was ready and optimistic that I could improve on my hook to land ratio.  I arrived at the lake and this day was a little different.  I wasn't quite on the fish!  I couldn't believe it.  They had to have moved but they didnt.  What had happened is a cold front was coming in and the fish weren't as active.  I had to slow down and change tactics but I still managed to start getting bites after many lure changes!  After figuring out what the fish were doing I had a great day.  I had 6 bites and landed all 6!  And every one of them was hooked perfectly!  It was great! 
No matter how good you are you have to keep practicing.  And even when you think you have it figured out there's always room for improvement!  I realized early on that not fishing for two weeks does in fact effect my fishing and rather than try to get back to where I was I worked on getting even better.  This is something that not only pertains to fishing.  It also pertains to life.  When faced with a challenge you can either try to get past your obstical or you can make yourself stronger and better because of it. 
Happy fishing out there everyone! 

1 comment: